Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2018

My chronic pain struggle



Chronic pain and anxiety



Its the start of a new day but that feeling of dread and worry about my chronic pain resides in the pit of my stomach. So many thoughts and worries are going around and around in my head. I think of all the things that I have to do during the day, the tasks that people who are free from fibromyalgia take for granted such as going to work and making sure the house is clean and tidy and I feel overwhelmed.


I pull myself out of bed and gravitate downstairs to make my breakfast. If I make the wrong movement in my legs I can feel that unpleasant pain and at times this leads to a surge of panic running through my veins and an urge to find some semblance of chronic pain relief. All I want to do is to be able to sit down and relax and not have to worry about my fibromyalgia. I want to be able to laugh again and to be carefree.




I subsequently get myself dressed and walk down to the train station each time wincing with the chronic pain in my legs. Once on the train I look around at the other passengers who are looking down at their mobile phones or reading and wonder what it must be like to be able to wake every day with no worry about how they are going to cope with fibromyalgia for the day.






Chronic pain and work

chronic pain office lady stressed
Image source - Pixabay


Once at work I am constantly on edge waiting for the pain to get progressively worse which if I am having a bad day pain wise it does. When telling people I have chronic pain I usually am faced with either a tilt of the head and a look of sympathy from them or they believe the pain is all in my head. The only time a feeling of relaxation surfaces is when I fall into bed and put my head on my pillow.


Similar blog


Reading the experiences of a lady called Britt who documents her personal experiences of chronic pain and the isolation and fear she goes through with her chronic pain has helped me immensely. In addition, there is a blog published on the mighty.com entitled What I Wish Others Knew About Living With Chronic Pain which has been written by a lady called Emily Murray. This blog describes what her experience with chronic pain has been like.


Thank you for taking the time to read this blog.

What struggles have you had with your chronic pain? Please leave a comment below.

Related posts








2 comments:

  1. There are pain clinics you could go to, ask you’re GP to refer you They are really good you will be among people who are also in chronic pain and be able to relate to them. Also you could ask your GP to refer you to Gartnaval holistic clinics the are amazing up there, they will prescribe holistic medication (private prescriptions) in which if you normally don’t pay for your scripts you’re GP will sign them so that you get you’re scripts free. I suffer the same way as you as do everyone with fibromyalgia ME etc the pain clinics help you to cope with your pain like planning your day and how to reserve energy to cope with pain also ways to help you sleep better especially with restless leg syndrome 😭 What drugs has your doctor given you? You could ask for a morphine based drug they do help. I hope you find this helpful. You are so not alone my dear friend I know what you are going through and yes people just don’t understand you as you’re pain is invisible to them. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harley my doctor has prescribed me citalopram and sometimes i get diazepam when the pain is really bad to calm me down. I may need to start thinking about going to a pain clinic in the future as this is 11 years now I have had this pain for.

      Delete

Chronic pain and friendships

Chronic pain and forging friendships Chronic pain  and making friends can be extremely difficult. I can honestly say th...